After returning from maternity leave, can my employer move my job location, and if so, how far?

Q. I am supposed to be returning to work at a retail store that was bought out. They hired a lot of people for the transition, and now they are cutting everyone's hours. I was told that they might not have a position for me at that store, but that they should be able to find me hours at another store. I know that I am guaranteed my job back, but I am curious if they can move the location that I work at, and if so, how far away?

A. With the way the economy is, yes they can move the location that you work at. Even people that aren't coming back from maternity leave are having to transfer job locations just to keep their jobs. I would hope that they wouldn't move it too far away, but even if they did ... they can't really get into trouble for it as long as they are still offering you a job.

Direct from the US Department of Labor:

JOB RESTORATION
Upon return from FMLA leave, an employee must be restored to the employeeâs original job, or to an equivalent job with equivalent pay, benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment. An employeeâs use of FMLA leave cannot result in the loss of any employment benefit that the employee earned or was entitled to before using FMLA leave, nor be counted against the employee under a âno faultâ attendance policy. If a bonus or other payment, however, is based on the achievement of a specified goal such as hours worked, products sold, or perfect attendance, and the employee has not met the goal due to FMLA leave, payment may be denied unless it is paid to an employee on equivalent leave status for a reason that does not qualify as FMLA leave.

An employee has no greater right to restoration or to other benefits and conditions of employment than if the employee had been continuously employed.

When should I take maternity leave from my retail job?
Q. I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I work in retail. I'm really stressed and my back and feet always hurt. I was planning on working until I went in, but I think I might be crazy uncomfortable by then. When should I take maternity leave. I was thinking in a week or two. Or should I just stick it out?

A. now is a good time to get your rest, because any day now your baby could decide it's time and you don't want to have just worked 8 hours on your feet and then give birth. I would say 36 weeks maximum working time. and thats if you really need money

To an employer is it positive or negative that you have children?
Q. Like is it good in a way that I won't be taking time out for maternity leave etc, or is it bad in that I have responsibilities and distractions more important than my work? Do you think they consider it a positive or a negative that you have already raised a family (to school age at least!)?
Also are they likely to judge me because I had my kids young?
I want a marketing job, not sales marketing or promotions marketing, the behind-the-scenes strategy type marketing

A. Depends on the job. I mean, a retail position at pregnancy or maternaty store would LOVE it because you would be able to talk new parents into what they 'need'.

Bottom line though, any professional high stress job is going to see it as a negative. It is illegal to discriminate, and they would never openly admit it, but having children can be a negative in the work force. Mainly because your kids are Always going to come first, if you are a good parent. These companies want to be your number 1 commitment.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Lorengan Ingus
Powered by Blogger.
Advertisement
Advertisement